Friday, November 28, 2008

AS PROMISED, MORE DETAILS

Starting on December 8th, I'll be the new news director for Pamal Broadcasting in the Hudson Valley, so mainly you'll be hearing me on 100.7 WHUD, Classic Hits 92.9, and on the three AMs that make up the Hudson Valley Radio Network: WGHQ (920 - Kingston), WBNR (1260 - Beacon), and WLNA (1420 - Peekskill). And every so often I may pop up on K104 (104.7 FM) when they're in need of news as well.

It may be true that the "when's the first time he screws up the call letters" and "when's he gonna lock himself out of the building accidentally" pools are being constructed as I write this.

As for my former colleagues now turned competitors, my vengeance shall be swift and terrible, yea, like unto the feeding frenzy of a thousand ravenous sharks of the ocean deep, and Route 9 shall run red with the blood of--

Not so much.

So many people I worked with mutually enriched each other's work and saved each other's bacon countless times over 19+ years, and I am forever in their debt, although I can only buy so many drinks, okay?

If you were a listener of mine before, don't hold a grudge against my former employers. I don't. The combination of events and actions that left me out of a job for one whole month (egads!) doesn't have much of anything to do with anybody here in the Hudson Valley broadcasting business. My focus now is on doing the best job I can of providing news to a combination of listening areas, and to help spur the kind of consistency and innovation that can again prove local radio's vitality the way it was proved in the mid-50's after televison stole away so many radio stars of the day. (TV's not an option for me, at any rate. In my case the camera not only adds 10 pounds, it doubles the size of my bald spot and throws in some acne for good measure.)

And that concludes the job-search portion of this blog as it exists now...but...

I know that many people who read this aren't as lucky as I was and are still pounding the pavement. For whatever it's worth, I'll make this space available to whomever needs a bit of help telling their story. Drop me an email and tell the story. Again, I have no idea whether anybody in a position to hire in any business reads this blog, and I have no idea of my persuasive abilities. This is just me trying to do somebody a solid.

No comments: